Bob's Dragon Slayers #01

Today, I am joining a new group of fellow adventurers. It's another D&D 5e game, this time DMed by my buddy Bob, who plays the half-orc trio in Random Encounters and was part of our initial Cyberpunk crew. My understanding is that it'll be 6 players and every session will be a level for the first 10 levels. 

I'm late to the party, because I thought I needed to leave room in my schedule for my own campaign. Apparently not; we haven't played since November, so that may have died the unspoken death. Anyway, they're level 5, so I assume I've missed at least that many sessions. I've decided to play a dwarf barbarian in this game and that's what I showed up to the table with...

Druss Lorgan the Ironroar, blackest name amongst the Shield Dwarves of Icewind Dale. Mountain dwarf. Path of the berserker barbarian. Inspired by a mix of David Gemmell's Druss the Legend and Joe Abercrombie's Logan Ninefingers. He's a big, powerful dwarf who's seen too many fights and too much death. He's most afraid of the thing inside that hungers for carnage, blood, and death. All the while knowing he enjoys being that thing as much as he knows it must not be let out.

I put together my character, leveled him up to 4th, found an appropriate picture, picked out his dice, and even painted up a mini. I was ready to go. I was not ready for the size of the group I ran into.

Bob's game was advertised with a 6 player maximum, and that was one of the reasons I hadn't given it more consideration when it began, and the players just kept rolling in: Brent, Mike, Caroline, Andrew, Joshua, Josh, John, and now me. Bob was gonna have his hands full.

The Crew at the Table:
Bob the Dungeon Master
Jarn Mubber, gnome warlock (Andrew)
Balor, dragonborn cleric (Brent)
Tilde, half-elf bard (Caroline)
Xavier, asimar paladin (Josh)
Grendal, half-orc barbarian (Joshua) 
Druss Lorgan, dwarf barbarian (Ronn) 
Dirk, human fighter (the player who's name I didn't catch)

Druss stated off manacled, equipment-less, and in the custody of a band of drow elves. There is an endless list of ways this could have come to be, given the drow and my characters background. Welcome to the underdark.

The party attacking the drow was the escape opportunity Druss had been awaiting. He smashed his captor, grabbed the keys to his manacled, set himself free, and joined this new band of danger seekers.

The goal seems to be finding a drugar king, but I could be mistaken on this point. What I do know is, we descended deeper into the underdark and faced off against the environment, beasties, and hostile natives. The first rope bridge we came across was in need of repairs and crossed through a piercer infested cavern. We made it across without too much trouble and only minor wounds. The second was in better repair, but was guarded by deep dwelling dwarves of foul disposition. Fighting ensued, victory achieved, and a captive was taken.

It was a good time, even if I did get skipped over for three rounds of the last fight. It's a busy table. We'll have to wait two weeks to find out what comes of our actions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Delta Green Groundhog Day

D&D: Adventures in Eberron - Stone Giant City

Traveller: Late to the Party